Welcome to the BlueScope Professional Portal (the Portal). The Portal is owned and operated by BlueScope Steel Limited ABN 16 000 011 058 ("BlueScope", "we" or "us") on behalf of itself and its related bodies corporate.
1 PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
- We are committed to protecting your privacy and to upholding the privacy principles set out in the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 ("the Privacy Act").
- Set out below is the information which we are required under the Australian Privacy Principles to give you, as a user of the Portal.
- By accessing and using the Portal or by submitting information to us, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information in the ways described in this Privacy Statement.
- We recommend that you keep a copy of this Privacy Statement for future reference.
2 YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We may hold a variety of personal information about you, including your name, date of birth, your current and previous addresses, your phone number, e-mail address, and your occupation.
- Occasionally, we may ask you for personal information about other people - for example, your customers or other authorised representatives. If you choose to disclose this information to us, we rely on you to tell those individuals that you are giving their personal information to us.
- If you choose not to give personal information to us, we may not be able to provide you with access to some or all of the Portal or to our other products and services.
- Where lawful and practical, you have the right to remain anonymous or to make use of a pseudonym, however if you choose to remain anonymous or to use a pseudonym, we may not be able to provide you with access to some or all of the Portal or to our other products or services.
3 WHEN WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will only collect your personal information where:
- it is reasonably necessary for us to pursue one or more of our functions or activities; or
- we are required to by law.
- Some personal information (e.g. race, ethnicity, health information etc.) is sensitive and requires a higher level of protection under the Privacy Act. We will only collect such sensitive information when:
- we have your consent; and
- the collection is reasonably necessary for us to pursue one or more of our functions or activities.
- We will not need your consent to collect your sensitive information when it is required or authorised by law.
4 HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means.
- We will collect personal information directly from you - for example, when you send us an email or complete and submit an online form, unless:
- you have consented to our collection of your personal information from third parties - for example, our related companies, credit reporting agencies or your representatives; or
- when we are legally required to do so; or
- it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
- Where we have collected personal information about you either directly or by other means as set out in Clause 4(b), we will notify you at the time, or as soon as practicable, to ensure that you are aware of such collection and its purpose.
- One of the ways we may collect information about you is through the use of "cookies". A cookie is a small text file that the Portal may place on your computer. Cookies may be used, among other things, to track the pages you have visited, to remember your preferences and to store personal information about you.
- You can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. However, if you disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain areas of the Portal or take advantage of the improved web site experience that cookies offer.
- When you visit the Portal, our servers may record other information about or relating to you, such as the time and date of your visit or the IP address assigned to the computer you are using to access the Web Sites. In many cases, we cannot and do not use this information to identify you personally. Rather, we simply use this information to track, improve and report on the performance of the Portal.
5 IF WE RECEIVE UNSOLICITED PERSONAL INFORMATION
- If we receive unsolicited personal information about or relating to you and we could have collected the information if we had solicited the information, then we will treat it in the same way as information collected under clause 3 and 4 and in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- If we receive unsolicited personal information about or relating to you and we could not have collected that information, and that information is not contained in a Commonwealth record, we will, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so:
- destroy the information; or
- de-identify the information,
6 HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Your personal information may be used by us in a number of ways, including:
- to give you access to the Portal;
- to respond to queries you submit via the Portal;
- to inform you of changes to our business, our products (or those of other people), the Portal, or to the content on the Portal;
- for internal business purposes - for example, to research and develop the Portal and our other products and services;
- as required or authorised by law, including under the Australian Privacy Principles;
- to enforce any agreement, or in connection with legal proceedings, between you and us.
- You expressly consent to us using your personal information for these purposes.
- If you are a registered user of the Portal, we may use or disclose your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing in circumstances where you are expecting to receive such direct marketing material. In such event, you consent to our use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing.
- If you do not want us to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of receiving direct marketing at the time of providing your personal information. If you wish to cancel your consent, you may request that we not send direct marketing communications to you through your user preferences page, or you may contact our Privacy Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org.
7 WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We may disclose your personal information to our related companies and to various outside organisations (some of which may be located in foreign countries). Except as permitted under the Australian Privacy Principles, we will only disclose your personal information for one of the purposes set out in part 6 above.
- Some of the outside organisations we may disclose your personal information to include:
- organisations who advertise or provide information about their products and services on the Portal;
- other organisations involved in the operation, hosting and management of the Portal;
- our professional advisers, including our legal advisers and financial advisers;
- government and regulatory authorities; and
- organisations that acquire all or part of our assets or businesses.
- If any of these organisations are located outside Australia, you expressly consent to us disclosing your personal information to those organisations.
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that each organisation that we disclose your personal information to is committed to protecting your privacy and complies with a law or scheme which has the same or similar effect as the Australian Privacy Principles.
8 HELP US TO ENSURE WE HOLD ACCURATE INFORMATION
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of the information we hold depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
- Please help us by:
- letting us know if there are any errors in the information we hold about you; and
- keeping us up to date with changes to your information, such as changes to your name or address.
9 HOW YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. For security reasons, we may ask you to put your request in writing.
- We may charge a reasonable fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
10 PREVENTING UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will take reasonable steps to maintain the security of and to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of your personal information.
- However, we do not guarantee that unauthorised access to your personal information will not occur, either during transmission of that information to us or after we receive that information.
- When we no longer require your personal information for a specific purpose and we are not required to keep it to comply with any laws, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy your personal information or to ensure that the information is de-identified.
11 LINKED SITES
- The Portal may contain links to other Internet web sites. These links are provided solely for your convenience.
- If you submit personal information to or via any linked site, the privacy principles applying to that information will be outside our control. You should therefore check the privacy statement of the linked site before submitting information to or via that site.
12 CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
- From time to time, we may need to change this Privacy Statement to reflect our changing business practices. We may therefore change this Privacy Statement at any time by posting the changed Privacy Statement on the Portal.
- All personal information collected and held by us will be governed by our most recent Privacy Statement, as posted on the Portal.
- If you wish to complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or a registered code that binds us, please contact our Privacy Officer via email@example.com.
- Our Privacy Officer will seek to resolve the alleged breach of the Australian Privacy Principles at first instance by discussing the breach with you and the outcome you are seeking.
- If our Privacy Officer cannot resolve the alleged breach to your, or our, satisfaction, the Privacy Officer will refer your complaint to the Privacy Commissioner for resolution.
14 HOW TO CONTACT US
- If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact our Privacy Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have a general inquiry relating to the Portal, please contact us via email@example.com.